This week’s projects

I’ve thrown in some fun ones this week to balance out the workload.

Reliable drinking water from my tanks has always been something I wanted for this trip, but a 40 year old tank is kind of gross. 

Bleaching, flushing and filtering however wasn’t enough and I still got sick from drinking it. So this past week I cut into the side and main water tanks to find slimy yellow grim coating the walls, and an already compromised lid. It had been leaking, but I didn’t realize it was also saturated and smelled rotten.

I decided the only proper solution would be to completely remove the old wood and sealant. An Epoxy coat of the tanks and new plywood lids, made up with potable water epoxy, and then to re-seal it all with a 6” cleaning port installed in each. 

An absolute pain to remove this sealant, i tried everything…

The bum slam…
The “its really hot, and i’m loosing patience” tactic…
Eventually tried reasoning with it, which worked much better
Ah, that was easy!

Potable water epoxy is rare to find for tanks under 600 gallons, expensive, and is only shipped within the states, so this has turned out to be quite the task- but it’s almost complete none the less.

My work crew

I used all the math Sue taught us in Marine Tech…
Perfect fit! When does that ever happen?

While I wait for the extra reefs in my main sail, as well as the new full enclosure to be made by the local Sail Maker, I’ve gone onto a few fun little projects to add to my comfort aboard, and keep me busy.

Not being able to have my windows open on a hot, humid, rainy night sounded like torture to me. Opening them up after a storm, the water collects in them just waiting to come splashing in and ruin my new foam an upholstery I worked so hard on replacing.

The best idea was draining windows, but they still couldn’t be open during a rain, I needed to cover them somehow, which led me to discover rain shields.

$50 US each to buy (x6 = silly expensive in Canadian $)

I wanted to see If I could make them instead, and it turned out to be a fun day project. I bought some plexiglass sheets, $7 each, cut with a small jigsaw and molded them each by hand into to shape with a heat gun. Fit to the ports and drilled tiny holes, held tight with stainless wire for easy removal. A light rain and nothing came in my boat! However when I took the hose to them simulating a hard rain, they failed. The fix was to remove the shields and apply a bead of silicone to the lip of the frame, and now it is completely water tight and still removable. 

The Flopper Stopper. A kinky dress or a device fishing trawlers boom off to the side to stabilize their boat in heavy wake or waves while at anchor. This is the first design I’ve tried, a bit small, but it does work, reducing the wobble of the boat by 30% compared to my neighbours. The next design is in the making, but a boat should have two- one on either side for them to truly be effective. 

Milk Crate $5, scraps of plywood $5, scraps of steel for fast reponsive sinking, and zip ties. Can be used as a storage device while underway, which gets bonus points from me! Thanks for the design Dino!

Making good use of the Spinnaker pole, less wobbly as those speed boats fly by
This next one is just a weighted triangle, larger surface area, simple design, flat for storage. Easy, but untested yet.

I’ll be sawing into my forward hatch next week to install the new solar vent, epoxying the new tanks, and finishing off the exterior wood. By then the new halyard, enclosure and sail will be ready, and in theory, so will I. 

The plan is to live out on Grand Lake for a month, continue racing with the new crew, sail my boat, get familiar living on anchor and learn navigating. As of yet, I couldn’t navigate my way out of a paper bag without my GPS… 

Which reminds me, i have beer in the fridge!